Thursday, 17 October 2019 13:45
Many homeowners don't think about their water heater until problems arise. However, by performing a simple inspection, you can ensure that your water heater is operating safely and efficiently. Here's what to check:
- Is there a consistent supply of hot water? An unexpected drop in the flow of hot water could signal a problem with the burner, or a build up of sediment in the tank.
- Is the water heater making strange sounds. Boiling sounds coming from a hot water heater are often a sign that sediment has built up at the bottom of the tank. Flushing the tank annually can prevent sediment build up.
- Are there scorch marks near the base of the water heater? This is often a symptom of back drafting. Because this is a safety issue that could lead to carbon monoxide being released in the home, have the water heater inspected by a professional plumber.
- Check the water heater for proper ventilation. Ensure the draft hood above the tank is securely connected. The flu should be connected using a minimum of three screws per joint. Flues that pass through to a chimney should be properly lined and connected to prevent carbon monoxide from re-entering the home.
- Is there a drain pan under the water heater? If the tank is on an upper level of the home, a drain pan will ensure that water leaks do not cause damage to the floor and ceiling below.
- Ensure a drip pipe is in place and is not leaking. The T&P or pressure relief valve should have a pipe that extends 6 inches from the floor.
- Ensure there are no combustible materials near the water heater.
Published in Plumbing Tips & Advice
Plumbing Tips & Advice
- Water Heater Inspection Checklist
- Fall Plumbing Maintenance Checklist
- Kitchen and Bathroom Plumbing Upgrades
- Quick Tip Video – Locating Your Water Shutoff Valve
- Quick Tip Video - Maintaining Your Water Heater
- Tracking Down Sewer and Drain Odors
- Is Your Sump Pump Ready For Spring?
- Buying a Home? Remember to Have the Plumbing System Inspected
- MR Plumbing Plumbing Tips For Spring
- Determining the Age of Your Water Heater
- Avoiding the Most Common Tankless Water Heater Problems
- Preventing Kitchen Drain Clogs
- The Advantages of Hydrojetting Drain Lines
- Is Your Sump Pump Working?
- Water Heater Maintenance Tips
- Signs It's Time For a New Water Heater
- Under Sink Disposal Not Working? Here Are a Few Things to Check
- 3 Tips to Make Your Water Heater Last Longer and Work More Efficiently
- How Water Heaters Can Affect Water Quality
- Choosing the Best Toilet For Your Home
- How Hard Water Can Cause Problems With Your Home's Plumbing System
- The Causes and Cures For Low Water Pressure
- Plumbing Maintenance Tips For Spring
- What to Do In a Plumbing Emergency
- How To Drain a Water Heater Tank
- Preventing The Most Expensive Home Plumbing Repairs
- Home Plumbing Maintenance Checklist
What Our Fans Are Saying About Mr. Plumbing!