Home Heating Tips and Advice From MR Plumbing
Keep Your Heating and Cooling System Working Efficiently and Your Air Healthier
A common question we hear from our customers is, "How often should I change my furnace air filter?" The answer is usually once a month. Check with the filter packaging for details. There are a few other things to consider as well:
1. Buy filters in bulk and keep them next to the furnace.
Having filters always ready next to the furnace will reduce procrastination and the tendency to wait too long between filter changes. Also, buying filters in bulk is usually less expensive than buying them individually.
2. Use the correct size filter.
An poor-fitting filter lets dirt and debris escape around the filter, contaminate the air in your home and the parts inside the furnace, leading to reduced efficiency of the unit which can shorten the lifespan of the compressor and other components.
3. Install the filter in the right direction.
Most filters have arrows indicating the direction of air flow. Putting a filter in backwards can cause the filter to work less efficently and in some cases may cause the filter to bend, allowing dirty air around the filter.
4. Always turn of the power at the breaker rather than the thermostat when changing the filter.
This will ensure that if you come in contact with any wiring inside or near the filter you won't get shocked.
5. Furnace filters are not designed as air cleaners.
While most furnace filters will keep a lot of dirt and debris out of the air, they are not going to keep the air free of smaller contaminates and allergens. If your home has excessive dust, pet dander, smoke or other pollutants, consider using a separate, high quality home air filtration system. A HEPA rated filter is designed to capture the smallest particles that can easily pass through most common furnace air filters.
Have questions about your furnace filter, indoor air quality or your home's heating and cooling system? Call MR Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning & Electric. We are here to help answer your questions.
Published in Heating Tips & Advice
Heating Tips & Advice
- 5 Furnace Filter Tips
- Are Furnace Noises the Sign of a Problem?
- Solving Uneven Temperture Problems In the Home
- The Importance of Replacing Your Furnace Air Filter
- Buying a Home? Don't Forget To Inspect the Heating System
- How To Maintain Consistent Temperatures Throughout Your Home
- Is Your Furnace Ready For The Heating Season?
- Choosing a New Furnace
- Should You Repair Or Replace Your Gas Furnace?
- Energy Saving Home Heating Tips For Fall
What Our Fans Are Saying About Mr. Plumbing!