Heating takes up the largest percentage of a typical household's energy use, about 42% of the typical utility bill. You can save money and increase your comfort by properly maintaining your heating system. A properly maintained heating system will not only keep your home more comfortable it will reduce the likelihood of a breakdown during the coldest time of winter, when you need it the most.
Even the most energy-efficient heating system won't have a significant impact on your heating bill if the whole-house isn't energy efficient. Good insulation, duct sealing, weather sealing windows and doors and programming your thermostat can save about 30% on your energy bill.
Here are some home heating tips to reduce energy use and make your home more comfortable:
- Replace your furnace filter once a month or as recommended by the manufacturer
- Program your thermostat to the lowest comfortable level, and lower when you're away from home or sleeping
- Keep your air ducts clean and make sure they are nit blocked by furniture, rugs or drapes
- Seal holes and gaps in air vents
- During the winter keep shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill.
- Use ceiling fans to improve the circulation of warm air in your living space
- Replace worn weather sealing around windows and doors
- Ensure your attic has sufficient insulation
Have questions about saving energy this heating season? Give MR Plumbing, Heating, Air, Electrical a call. From furnace tune-ups to duct sealing, we can help you stay comfortable and save energy all year long.