Spring Plumbing Checklist
With the warm weather upon us, this is a great time of year to check your home's plumbing systems inside and outside the house to ensure you are not wasting water or missing potentially bigger problems with your home's sewer and drain lines. Here are a few spring and summer plumbing maintenance tips:
- Fix Leaking Plumbing Fixtures - Check shower heads and faucets for leaks. Leaking faucets can waste hundreds of gallons of water in a year. Check toilets for leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the tank is leaking, colored water will appear in the toilet bowl.
- Test Your Basement Sump Pump - Test the sump pump by slowly pouring a few gallons of water into the pit. The pump should turn on right away, remove the water, then shut off.
- Sewer Line & Drain Maintenance - Check that all drains have strainers in place to prevent debris from clogging the drain lines. Schedule a video sewer line inspection. A thorough sewer line inspection will help to find the small issues like tree root intrusion before they become a major problem.
- Ensure Plumbing Systems Are Regularly Used - Exercising faucets and water valves under sinks and toilets will prevent them from sticking from under use.
- Maintain Your Water Heater - Drain a few gallons from the water heater tank to remove sediment, which reduces heating efficiency and can shorten the life of the water heater. Check with your water heater manufacturer's instructions for your specific make/model.