No Hot Water? Strange Water Heater Noises? Here Are Some Possible Causes
Many homeowners don't think about their water heater until problems arise. However, by performing a simple inspection at least twice a year you can ensure that your water heater is operating safely and efficiently.
Here's what to check:
- Is there a consistent supply of hot water? An unexpected drop in the flow of hot water could signal a problem with the burner, or a build up of sediment in the tank.
- Is the water heater making strange sounds. Boiling sounds coming from a hot water heater are often a sign that sediment has built up at the bottom of the tank. Flushing the tank annually can prevent sediment build up. Banging or popping noises are another common sign that a water heater is not working properly. Call your plumber if you hear and unusual sounds to have the unit checked.
- Are there scorch marks near the base of the water heater? This is often a symptom of back drafting. Because this is a safety issue that could lead to carbon monoxide being released in the home, have the water heater inspected by a professional plumber.
- Check the water heater for proper ventilation. Ensure the draft hood above the tank is securely connected. The flu should be connected using a minimum of three screws per joint. Flues that pass through to a chimney should be properly lined and connected to prevent carbon monoxide from re-entering the home.
- Is there a drain pan under the water heater? If the tank is on an upper level of the home, a drain pan will ensure that water leaks do not cause damage to the floor and ceiling below.
- Ensure a drip pipe is in place and is not leaking. The T&P or pressure relief valve should have a pipe that extends 6 inches from the floor.
- Ensure there are no combustible materials near the water heater.
Water Heater MaintenanceHomeowners should regularly flush the water heater to remove sediment buildup, inspect the anode rod and replace it if necessary, check the temperature and pressure relief valve, and check the connections for any signs of corrosion.
If you need water heater maintenance or repairs, call MR Plumbing. We can help with all your home plumbing and hot water needs.