Even the most energy-efficient heating system won't have a significant impact on your heating bill if the whole-house isn't energy efficient. Good insulation, duct sealing, weather sealing windows and doors and programming your thermostat can save about 30% on your energy bill.
Here are some home heating tips to reduce energy use and make your home more comfortable:
- Replace your furnace filter once a month or as recommended by the manufacturer
- Program your thermostat to the lowest comfortable level, and lower when you're away from home or sleeping
- Keep your air ducts clean and make sure they are nit blocked by furniture, rugs or drapes
- Seal holes and gaps in air vents
- During the winter keep shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill.
- Use ceiling fans to improve the circulation of warm air in your living space
- Replace worn weather sealing around windows and doors
- Ensure your attic has sufficient insulation